|Admin's Rating||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Location||Kimitsu City, Chiba Pref.|
|Access||Kururi Tetsudo, Kururi Station; approx. 20 minute walk to the grounds and 10 minutes to the top|
|Visited||May 28, 2005|
|Notes||The castle itself is tucked away atop a mountain in the deep forests of Chiba Pref. Unlike some castle reconstructions, well placed signs identify each part of the castle showing the city's care for preservation. A small but enjoyable castle visit.|
The castle was originally established by Mariya Takeda, but was taken over by Satomi Yoshitaka and became Satomi's home base and main fortification in his opposition to the Odawara based Hojo. After several unsuccessful attempts to attack Kururi Castle, it was eventually taken over by the Hojo (1564) but was then recaptured by Satomi in 1567.
After the coming of the Tokugawa, the castle was controlled successively by the Osuga, Tsuchiya, and Kuroda until it was eventually destroyed in 1872 after the Meiji Restoration.
The castle's nickname, U-jo (rain castle), comes from the story that it rained at least once every three days during it construction for a total of 21 times.