Izushi Castle 出石城
|Admin's Rating||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Location||Izushi, Hyogo Pref|
|Access||Toyooka Sta. (Line), bus to Izushi, 5 min walk from the last bus stop|
|Visited||Sept 26, 2013|
|History||After the Battle of Sekigahara (1600), the political climate became significantly more stable and there were no more local battles. Because of this, Koide Yoshihide, decided to fortify the area around the foot of his mountaintop castle, Arikoyama Castle, and built Izushi Castle in 1605. Arikoyama Castle was abandoned and Izushi Castle became the main castle for the Tajima Domain under the one castle per country law. A main keep was never built at Izushi Castle, but it was well fortified with several baileys, moats, and yagura. Four main baileys start at the base of the mountain and go up in steps. The highest bailey, Inari Kuruwa, is thought to have been the location of the lord's palace for Arikoyama Castle. The castle town was also designed for defense of the castle. The samurai quarters surround the outside of the castle and several temples were strategically placed near main roads and entrances that could also be used for defense if needed. The Koide ruled until 1697, when Izushi was ransferred to the Matsudaira who ruled until 1706. In 1706 Matsudaira Tadanori was transferred to Ueda Castle and Sengoku Masaaki, lord of Ueda Castle, was moved to Izushi Castle. The Sengoku clan continue to rule over Izushi Castle until the Meiji Restoration.|
Sign in to add this castle to your castle visits or to rate it.
Izushi, Hyogo Pref