|Alternate Name||Inoyama Castle, Itsu Castle|
|Admin's Rating||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Historical Site||National Historic Site|
|Historical Value||Top 100 Castles|
|Location||Tokushima City, Tokushima Prefecture|
|Access||Tokushima Sta. (Tokushima Line) or Highway Bus, 10 min walk|
|Website||Tokushima Castle Museum|
|Visitor Info.||Tokushima Castle Museum 9:30 to 5:00. Closed on Mondays and days following public holidays. The castle ruins / castle park is open 24/7. | Time Required: 2 hours|
This castle is definitely one of those top cherry blossoms spots in Tokushima. It is around 10 minutes walk from JR Tokushima Station and the Highway Bus Terminal.
Photos and profile by JCastle user RaymondW.
In 1385, Hosokawa Yoriyuki built Inoyama Castle on the present site of Tokushima Castle. After Toyotomi forces conquered Shikoku, Hachisuka Iemasa was appointed the lord of Awa Province (present day Tokushima Prefecture.) Initially, Hachisuka Iemasa based his headquarters at Ichinomiya Castle. However, it turned out to be a rather inconvenient location to govern Awa, so he moved to Tokushima Castle in 1585. The existing fortifications were enlarged and improved.
The castle is located in the heart of Tokushima City, on a 62m hill called Inoyama. The castle is a renkaku-style hilltop castle with a Honmaru (Main Bailey), Higashi Ninomaru (Eastern Second Bailey), Nishi Ninomaru (Western Second Bailey), and Nishi Sannomaru (Western Third Bailey) located up on the hill with additional baileys: Nishinomaru Yashiki, Baba, Goten, and Miki Bailey at the base of the hill. Initially, a castle keep was built in the Honmaru at the top of the hill, but it was pulled down and a new three-storey castle keep without the usual stonewall foundation (tenshudai) was built in the Higashi Ninomaru in the early Edo Period. The castle lasted eight years into the Meiji Period before it was demolished in 1875. Only the Washimon (Washi Gate) in the Miki Bailey survived, but it was destroyed during a WWII air raid in July 1945. The current Washimon was rebuilt in 1989 to mark the centenary of Tokushima City.