Tsuchiura Castle 土浦城
Founder Imaizumi Saburo
Tsuchiya
Year early 1600's
Type Flatland
Condition Other Buildings
Alternate Name Kijo
Structure 2 levels, 2 stories (higashi yagura)
Admin's Rating ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Historical Site Prefectural Historic Site
Location Tsuchiura, Ibaraki Prefecture
Map Google Map
Access Tsuchiura Station (Joban Line), 15 minute walk
Website Tsuchiura City Sightseeing
Visited April 29, 2003; May 5, 2016
Visitor Info. Park is open any time. The Higashi Yagura is open irregularly. | Time Required: 30 mins
Notes A nice site with several buildings in a very small area. It's a short walk from the station so please stop by if you are in the area.
History A castle was likely established on this site as a fortified home by Imaizumi Saburo, a vassal of the Oda. The site was likely renovated into an Edo Period castle by one of the lords (Matsudaira, Nishio, Kutsuki) in the first half of the 17th Century. The lands ruled from Tsuchiura Castle grew to their greatest size under the Tsuchiya clan who ruled all but 5 years of the span 1669-1869. This was the second largest fief in Hitachi after that of Mito. After the Meiji Restoration, the castle was used for government offices and in 1898 the last Tsuchiya officially donated the castle to the city of Tsuchiura.
Photo Tags

2
Viewer Comments

Comment on this castle
  • ART    February 11, 2017 at 07:52 PM
    Though not so large, Tsuchiurajō is quite a pleasant castle site. There is a taiko-yaguramon, the only original yaguramon in Kantō, and two gates which date to the Edo-jidai, two yagura reconstructed out of wood, and the inner moat to see, as well as some ishigaki and wall segments. The site used to be much larger and had many more rings of moats, so many were the waterways in fact at this castle upon Kasumigaura Lake, that it came to be known as Kijō, “Turtle Castle,” as it sat over the moats like a floating turtle, and was categorised as a water castle. The moats enclosed the honmaru (main bailey), ninomaru (second bailey), sannomaru (third bailey), and sotomaru (outer bailey). The honmaru contained a go’den (palace), and the other parts of the castle had residences for samurai (this album contains models of such structures from the city museum located adjacent to the castle). The Oda Clan controlled a fort here during the Sengoku-jidai but they were defeated by the Yūki Clan. In the Edo Period the Yūki were transferred away and Matsudaira Nobukazu was given control of the territory as a reward for his rear-guard action during the Battle of Sekigahara. His son Nobuyoshi developed the castle town and built checkpoints along the Mito-Kaidō (a trade route between Mito and Edo). Meiji authorities filled in the moats which gave the castle its nickname of “Turtle Castle” and used the go’den palace as offices until it burnt down in 1884.
  • kiddus_i2003 on My Page    June 07, 2015 at 03:05 AM
    Small, well maintained sadly not a lot to see.
Average Rating
Sign in to add this castle to your castle visits or to rate it.
  • Global rating average: 2.0 out of 5
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0
  • 2.0

Tsuchiura, Ibaraki Prefecture
Tsuchiura Castle views
Taiko Yagura Gate Maekawaguchi Gate
Maekawaguchi Gate Kasumi Gate
Kasumi Gate Uchibori moat
Uchibori moat Uchibori moat
Entrance Ninomaru moat
Nishi Yagura Honmaru embankment
Taiko Yagura Gate Taiko Gate
Taiko Gate Roof tiles of the Taiko Gate
Reconstructed wall Reconstructed wall
Reconstructed wall with stone chute Higashi Yagura
Masugata entrance Honmaru entrance
Higashi Yagura, moat and walls Taiko Gate
Ninomaru earthen embankment Ninomaru moat
Map