|English Name||Amagasaki Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period|| Edo Period
|Features||stone walls, walls|
|Access||Amagasaki Sta (Hanshin Main Line), 5 min walk|
|Visitor Information||Open anytime|
|Time Required||15 mins|
|Location||Amagasaki, Hyogo Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 43' 2", 135° 25' 7"|
|Visits||March 9, 2013|
Amagasaki Castle was built in 1617 by Toda Ujikane. It completely enclosed an earlier Sengoku period castle built by the Hosokawa clan under Hideyoshi. Amagasaki Castle was located at a strategic point where 2 rivers flow into the ocean. with boat landings in the castle grounds so boats could enter the moats directly. The castle had three baileys and three water moats that spiraled around the honmaru bailey which housed a four level main keep and large 3 level yagura. The castle was dismantled in 1873 under the Castle Abolishment act. Much of the stone in the stone walls was repurposed to make an ocean break wall.
There really isn't much here to see. There is just one section of a reconstructed stone wall with a earthen wall on top. Only stop if you are a serious castle fan and have some free time while in the area.