Akechi Mitsuhide built Fukuchiyama Castle under the orders of Oda Nobunaga for his attacks on the Tanba area. After the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 Arima Toyouji became lord of the castle. He expanded and fortified the castle into the Fukuchiyama Castle we see today. Lordship of the castle changed hands a number of times until Kutsuki Tanemaki became lord of the castle in 1669. From then until the Meiji Restoration, 13 generations of the Kutsuki family ruled over Fukuchiyama.
All pictures donated by Raymond W.
|English Name||Fukuchiyama Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles, Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||3 levels, 4 floors|
|Year Reconstructed||1985 (concrete)|
|Features||main keep, gates, turrets, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Fukuchiyama Sta (Fukuchiyama Line); 15 min walk|
|Coordinates||35° 17' 48", 135° 7' 46"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2009|