The first castle was built in 1599 by Matsuura Shigenobu. The Matsuura clan burned down the castle in 1613 to show their loyalty to the Tokugawa shogunate. Construction on the present day castle was begun in 1704 and completed in 1718. The castle was designed by military strategist Yamaga Soko making use of the natural features of the land to increase the defensive ability of the castle. The Matsuura continued to rule from Hirado until the Meiji Restoration. The main keep and four yagura were reconstructed in 1962.
A great castle and town to visit, but not very convenient without private transportation.
|English Name||Hirado Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Designations||Top 100 Castles, has Important Cultural Properties, Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Year Reconstructed||1962 (concrete)|
|Features||main keep, gates, turrets, stone walls|
|Access||Tabira Hiradoguchi Sta (Matsuura Rail), bus|
|Visitor Information||open 8:30 to 17:30; 500 yen; closed Dec. 30-31.|
|Location||Hirado, Nagasaki Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 22' 6.89" N, 129° 33' 27.25" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2011|