|English Name||Ikeda Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||gates, turrets, walls|
|Access||Hankyu Ikeda Sta., 15 min walk|
|Visitor Information||Free admission;, closed Tuesdays and New Year's holidays; open 900-1700 (Nov.-Mar.) and 900-1900 (Apr.-Oct.)|
|Website||http://www.ikedashi-kanko.jp/sub page/meisyo deta/meisho annai.html|
|Location||Ikeda City, Osaka|
|Coordinates||34° 49' 36", 135° 25' 41"|
The castle was originally a small fortification built by Ikeda Noriyori in 1334. The Ikeda clan ruled the area from this time through to the Sengoku Period. The castle was involved in many battles and struggles for power in the area and gradually grew in size and strength with each. The castle fell to Oda Nobunaga in 1568. Nobunaga recognized the skills and intelligence of Ikeda Katsumasa, lord of the castle and made him a retainer. Ikeda rebuilt and strengthened much of the castle learning from Nobunaga's castle techniques. Araki Murashige took over the castle in a coup in 1570 and expelled Ikeda Katsumasa from the castle. The castle was abandoned in 1580 when Araki moved to Itami Castle.
The reconstructed buildings are mock reconstructions of the type that might have been here in the late Sengoku Period.