Ina Suzuoka Castle
Suzuoka Castle was built by the Suzuoka branch of the Ogasawara Clan. After the death of Ogasawara Masayasu in 1442, the Ogasawara Clan was split between the main branch at Fukashijō (Matsumoto Castle), the Matsuo Branch and the Suzuoka Branch. Suzuokajō was conquered by Takeda Shingen in 1554. Suzuokajō later became a branch castle of Matsuojō (Ina Matsuo Castle). It was abandoned in 1590 when the Ogasawara were evicted from the territory by Toyotomi Hideyoshi.
The ruins of Suzuoka Castle are now part of a large historical park. It features sweeping earthworks, such as deep karabori (dry moats), horikiri (trenches) and dorui (earthen ramparts). Baileys number at least four: the honmaru (main bailey), ninomaru (second bailey), demaru (projecting (rear) bailey), and sotokuruwa (outer enclosure). Impressive moats run between. It seems they may be restoring some dorui at the site.
|English Name||Ina Suzuoka Castle|
|Year Founded||15th century|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Kuruwa, Dorui, Karabori, Horikiri|
|Access||Kega Station on the Iida Line; 20 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; park|
|Time Required||60 minutes|
|Location||Iida, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 29' 1.64" N, 137° 49' 35.54" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|