|English Name||Iwaseyama Castle|
|Year Founded||early 14th century|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period|| Pre Edo Period
|Access||Sukagawa Station (Tōhoku Main Line), 15 minute walk|
|Time Required||60 mins|
|Location||Sukagawa, Fukushima Prefecture|
|Coordinates||37° 17' 32", 140° 22' 50"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Iwaseyama Castle is believed to have been founded by Nikaidō Yukitomo in the Late Kamakura Period. The Nikaidō Clan moved their headquarters to Sukagawa Castle thereafter but maintained Iwaseyama Castle as a satellite fortification. In 1589 Date Masamune captured Sukagawa Castle and the Nikaidō were defeated. In Uesugi Kagekatsu’s conquest of the area in 1598, Iwaseyama Castle was taken over and he installed his retainer Kurita Gyobu as castellan.
Iwaseyama Castle is a mountaintop castle ruin in Midorigaoka Park. The current site of Atago Shrine was the castle’s central compound and it is still ringed by dorui (earthen ramparts). One of the castle’s outer enclosures is now the site of the Sukagawa City Museum. The castle spread southward roughly where the park does today.