The origins of this castle are not clearly known. It comes into prominence in 1537 when Ogigayatsu Uesugi Tomosada renovated an "old castle" on this site to oppose Hojo Ujitsuna. Excavations of the site show that it was likely an Ogigayatsu castle as early as 1490 but was abandoned at some point. This was the "old castle" referred to in 1537. The castle was likely abandoned in July of the same year when Hojo Ujitsuna skipped by Jindaiji Castle and attacked Matsuyama Castle. As it ended up in the middle of Hojo territory it was not necessary for the defense of Odawara, so it does not seem to have been repurposed by the Hojo.
It might not look like there is much to see here, but the layout of the castle is surprisingly well preserved. It's worth a stop combined with Jindaiji Temple and the nearby botanical gardens. Around the temple are also many old shops and interesting restaurants and cafes so you can easily enjoy a day outside the city. The area is famous for soba and there is a soba plant garden on in the botanic park too.
|English Name||Jindaiji Castle|
|Founder||Ogigayatsu Uesugi Tomosada|
|Year Founded||Late 1400's|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Take the bus from Chofu Station or Tsutsujigaoka Station on the Keio Line, or from Kichijoji Station or Mitaka Station on the JR Chuo-Sobu Line|
|Visitor Information||The castle ruins are located in the aquatic plant garden, a branch of the Jindai Botanical Gardens. Open 9:30 to 16:30. Closed Monday unless it's a holiday, then closed the following day; closed for new Year's Holidays. 500 yen.|
|Time Required||45 mins|
|Coordinates||35° 39' 55.55" N, 139° 33' 3.10" E|
|Visits||July 20, 2015|
|Added to Jcastle||2012|