Started in 1601, it took 10 years to complete Kagoshima Castle. The layout is very simple with only the honmaru and ninomaru baileys at the foot of the mountain. The castle had only only gate with a palace and government offices, but no yagura or main keep. The simple design and few structures is likely due to a lack of funds and from a disagreement between Iehisa and his father, who was against building the castle, over how to spend limited resources. 12 generations of the Shimazu ruled over Kagoshima castle until it was decommissioned in 1873.
The castle grounds contain a Kagoshima History museum today.
|English Name||Kagoshima Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Top 100 Castles, Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Features||bridges, water moats, stone walls|
|Access||Kagoshima Sta. (Nippo Line), 15min walk|
|Visitor Information||Grounds are open year round|
|Time Required||30 mins|
|Website||http://www.city.kagoshima.lg.jp/ 1010/kanko/database/category/rekishi/history/ 28020.html|
|Location||Kagoshima City, Kagoshima Prefecture|
|Coordinates||31° 35' 54", 130° 33' 16"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|