Imagawa Yoshitada had his retainer Asahina Yasuhiro build Kakegawa Castle about 0.5km to the northeast of the present castle to help control this vital point of the Tokaido road. In 1569, his descendent, Asahina Yasutomo, lost the castle to Tokugawa Ieyasu's forces. In 1590, the area was absorbed by Toyotomi Hideyoshi who stationed Yamanouchi Kazutoyo here when Tokugawa moved to Edo (Tokyo).
Yamanouchi built the main keep on the current site and renovated the castle and town into a more modern castle. After the Battle of Sekigahara, Yamanouchi was moved to Kochi. Yamanouchi's main keep was destroyed in an earthquake in 1604 but was soon rebuilt. The new keep lasted until 1854 when it destroyed by another earthquake. It was not rebuilt and the castle was dismantled in 1869.
The museum in the main keep does not have many artifacts but the displays are very well done. The combination of a nicely reconstructed main keep, an original palace and a few other gates and buildings really make this castle a must see for castle fans.
|English Name||Kakegawa Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Designations||Top 100 Castles, has Important Cultural Properties, Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||3 levels, 4 stories|
|Year Reconstructed||1993 (wood)|
|Artifacts||Yusanji Sanmon Gate, goten|
|Features||main keep, gates, turrets, palace, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Kakegawa Station (Tokaido Honsen), 10 minute walk|
|Location||Kakegawa, Shizuoka Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 46' 32", 138° 0' 53"|
|Year Visited||1999, 2009|
|Visits||May 1999; October 15, 2009|
|Added to Jcastle||1999|