A fort was first built at this site in the 12th century by the Kanbe Clan, vassals of the Seki Clan who were based at Kameyamajō. In 1568 Oda Nobunaga invaded northern Ise Province and defeated the local powers. The Seki surrendered and were forced to abide by Nobunaga’s terms: they would adopt his third son, Nobutaka, meaning that he would inherit the territory of his father’s defeated rivals. Nobutaka’s headquarters were Kanbejō. He modernised and expanded the castle with ishigaki and built a five-tier tenshukaku (donjon). After the death of Oda Nobunaga Kanbejō was involved in fighting between Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Oda Nobukatsu. Kanbejō was used during the Edo Period but was demolished at the beginning of the Meiji Period. A gate and small turret survived, however, but they are now located off site.
Kanbejō is a plains castle with a tenshukakudai (platform for main keep), dorui (earthen ramparts) and mizubori (water moat) remaining. The site is now a pleasant park and the honmaru (main bailey) is cleared. The rocks used in the castle’s ishigaki (stone ramparts) have a primitive, natural quality to them, being roughly hewn in the Sengoku Period.
|English Name||Kanbe Castle|
|Year Founded||12th century|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||bridges, water moats, stone walls|
|Access||Suzuka Station (Ise Line); 20 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Suzuka, Mie Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 52' 44", 136° 34' 38"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2017|