The castle was originally built as a fort for the Kohno clan by Dobi Yoshimasa in 1337. In 1342, the castle was attacked and taken over by Hosokawa Yoriharu. The castle was ruled by the Hosokawa until it fell to Chosakabe Motochika in 1582. After Hideyoshi subjugated Shikoku the lord of Kawanoe Castle changed frequently until it was abandoned by Kato Yoshiaki in 1611.
Photos by Frank T.
|English Name||Kawanoe Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||3 levels, 4 stories|
|Year Reconstructed||1984 (concrete)|
|Features||main keep, gates, stone walls|
|Access||Kawanoe (Yosan Line), 15min walk|
|Visitor Information||100 yen entrance fee, open 900-1600; closed Mondays|
|Location||Kawanoe, Ehime Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 0' 47", 133° 34' 3"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|