Kawashima Koretada, a Miyoshi clansman, built Kawashima Castle on a 50m hill overlooking the Yoshino River in 1573. After Toyotomi’s forces had conquered Shikoku, and Hachisuka Iemasa was appointed the Lord of Awa (present day Tokushima Prefecture), Kawashima Castle became one of Hachisuka’s Nine Castles of Awa. In 1585, Hachisuka stationed 300 soldiers at the castle under the command of Hayashi Tadakatsu to watch over the western part of Awa. Kawashima Castle was demolished in 1615 after the implementation of the One Province One Castle Edict.
This castle is about 8 minutes walk from JR Awakawashima Station on the JR Tokushima Line. The concrete castle keep built in 1981 is nothing like the original, and the interior is completely modern with glass windows and painted white walls. Entry is free and on the top floor, there are a couple of suits of replica samurai armour and period clothes.
Profile and photos by JCastle user RaymondW.
|English Name||Kawashima Castle|
|Alternate Names||Kitano Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||main keep, stone walls|
|Access||Awakawashima Sta. (Tokushima Line), 8 min walk|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Yoshinogawa, Tokushima Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 3' 58", 134° 19' 13"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|