|English Name||Kokura Castle|
|Alternate Names||Katsuyama-jo, Yuukin-jo|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||4 levels, 5 stories|
|Year Reconstructed||1959 (concrete)|
|Features||main keep, turrets, water moats, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Kokura Sta. (Kagoshima Line)|
|Location||Kitakyushu, Fukuoka Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 53' 4", 130° 52' 27"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
HistoryIn 1600 after the Battle of Sekigahara, Hosokawa Tadaoki was rewarded the lands of Buzen and Bungo. The ruling castle of the area was really at Nakatsu Castle, but Hosokawa found Kokura to be a much more convenient place from which to rule. It is also located at the vital point in transportation between Kyushu and Honshu. He started building Kokura Castle in 1602 and completed it in 1608.
Hosokawa's Son, Tadatoshi, was moved to Kumamoto in 1632. Ogasawara Tadazane replaced him and 9 generations of his descendents ruled for the next 230 years. The main keep burned down in a fire in 1837 and was not rebuilt. The castle itself was intentionally burned down and abandoned in 1866 when the Ogasawara fled Kokura during the second Battle of Shochuseito.
The reconstructed castle you see today is borogata style with decorative gables called kara hafu and irimoya hafu, but the original main keep was a very simple sotogata and had no such gables.
not personally visited