The site of Komatsujō was first fortified by the Ikkō-Ikki in 1576. It was conquered by Oda Nobunaga's general Shibata Katsuie in his campaign against them and in the Edo Period became part of Kaga Domain. In 1615 the One Castle Per Domain Edict led to the fort being abandoned. However, in 1639 Maeda Toshitsune began work on rebuilding the castle, creating wide moats surrounding a series of large islands. The castle ballooned in proportions and became twice as large in surface area as Kanazawajō. It was built with a three-tier tenshu and was thought to have been an impregnable fortress, due principally to its many moats and baileys. Komatsujō owes its existence to the power dynamic between Kaga Domain, which was one of the largest and most powerful polities in the land at that time, and the Edo Bakufu. Maeda Toshitsune, in order to allay the Shogunate's fears, retired as ruler of Kaga and built Komatsujō as a place for his retirement, splitting the domain between himself and his heirs. However, Toshitsune remained de facto in charge and for a brief time Komatsujō and not Kanazawajō was the political center of Kaga. Daishōji-jin'ya and Toyamajō were also built as a result of this compromise. After the death of Toshitsune in 1658 Komatsujō reverted to a branch castle of Kanazawajō. Komatsujō was abandoned in 1872 with the abolition of the Han System.
Komatsujō's main features are its extant tenshudai (donjon platform) ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts) and survivng ishigaki around the honmaru (main bailey). The survivng stonework is neatly stacked and is similar to later stonework found at Kanazawajō. The castle's foot print is extensive: the honmaru is now a park, the ninomaru (second bailey) is now a high school, and the sannomaru (third bailey) is now parkland. Other baileys which existed are now built over with residential sprawl. An elementary school in the sannomaru possesses an old gate, Tokiwamon, once used at the castle.
|English Name||Komatsu Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Baileys, Tenshudai, Ishigaki, Dorui, (relocated?) Gate|
|Access||Komatsu Station on the Hokuriku Main Line; 15 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||one hour|
|Location||Komatsu, Ishikawa Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 24' 45.29" N, 136° 26' 37.14" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2019|