|English Name||Kuwana Castle|
|Alternate Names||Ougi Castle|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period|| Edo Period
|Features||turrets, water moats, stone walls|
|Access||Kuwana Sta. (Kansai Line); 20 min walk|
|Visitor Information||open any time|
|Time Required||30 mins|
|Location||Kuwana, Mie Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 3' 53", 136° 41' 55"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
In the Sengoku Period, three nearby castles (Higashi Castle, Nishi Castle, Misaki Castle) made up what was known as the Three Castles of Kuwana. After Nobunaga conquered the area, the three castles were ruled together under both Nobunaga and then Hideyoshi. After the Battle of Sekigahara, Honda Tadakatsu was given command of Kuwana and built present day Kuwana Castle roughly on the site of the Higashi Castle. Honda spent 10 years building up a prosperous castle town and a massive castle that made use of three rivers to create moats. At it's peak, the castle had 3 three level yagura, 24 two level yagura, 24 connected yagura, 12 tamon (one level) yagura and 46 gates. It sat at a vital point overseeing the Tokaido Road and the only section of waterway along the the course.
In 1617, Tadakatsu's son Tadamasa, the 2nd lord of Kuwana Castle, was transferred to Himeji and Matsudaira Sadashige became the new lord of Kuwana Castle. Matsudaira lords ruled over Kuwana Province from Kuwana Castle until the Meiji Resoration. After the Boshin War, the castle was dismantled and much of the stone walls were used to build the port at Yokkaichi.
Photos by Jcastle user RaymondW