|English Name||Moriyama Castle|
|Year Founded||Heian Period|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period|| Pre Edo Period
|Features||trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Iwaki-Moriyama Station on the Suigun Line, 10 minute walk|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture|
|Coordinates||37° 19' 49", 140° 24' 48"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Founded by Tamura Shōji, grandson of Tamura Maro, a Heian Period Shōgun who fought in northern Japan against the indigenous Emishi, Moriyama Castle was ruled by Tamura’s descendents until the Nanbokuchō Period. In the Kamakura Period the castle was conquered by the Kamakura Shogunate, and was thereafter the main castle of the Tamura until they constructed Miharu Castle, after which the Tamura became vassals of the ascendant Date clan. Tamaru Naomasa stayed on at Moriyama Castle and re-fortified it, but he too later moved to Miharu Castle. From 1598 the Uesugi clan controlled the castle and after the Battle of Sekigahara the Gamō ruled as part of the Aizu Domain. In 1615 Moriyama Castle was abolished due to the one castle per territory edict.
Moriyama Castle’s main enclosure is now the current site of Shiroyama-Hachimangū. Before the shrine is a field, no longer cultivated, and this is the third enclosure which is ensconced with ishigaki (stonewall) on its south side. Below the ishigaki is a depression with a tarn and earthen bridge. Beyond this is a bamboo-choked gorge and stream overlooked by the third enclosure. The second enclosure is now the site of a school.