In 1610 Tokugawa Ieyasu ordered the construction of Nagoya-jo to solidify the Tokugawa authority in Owari (Nagoya and vicinity). The castle was completed in 1612 and Tokugawa's ninth son Yoshinao entered the castle in 1616 from which he governed over Owari.
Nagoya-jo is famous for the 2 golden shachihoko that adorn the top of its main keep. That is why it is also known as "Kinshachi-jo." Kin means "gold" and shachi refers to the killer whale type mythical creatures that sit atop the main keep and other castle structures.
Had it not been destroyed by the bombing of World War 2, Nagoya Castle may have been more splendid than Himeji Castle with its original main keep and lord's palace. They are currently rasining funds to rebuild the palace.
|English Name||Nagoya Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Designations||Top 100 Castles, has Important Cultural Properties, Special Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||5 levels, 7 stories|
|Year Reconstructed||1959 (concrete)|
|Artifacts||Southeast Corner Yagura, Southwest Corner Yagura, Omote Ninomon Gate, Ninomaru Ote Ninomon Gate, Former Ninomaru East Ninomon Gate, Northwest Corner Yagura|
|Features||main keep, gates, turrets, palace, water moats, trenches, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Shiyakusho Station (subway Meijo Line)|
|Location||Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 11' 8", 136° 53' 56"|
|Year Visited||1992, 1996, 2004|
|Visits||July 1992, several times in 1995-1996, February 23, 2004|
|Added to Jcastle||1999|