|English Name||Nanbata Castle|
|Alternate Names||Nanbata-shi yakata|
|Year Founded||Nanbokucho Period (1336-1392)|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period|| Pre Edo Period
|Features||gates, water moats|
|Access||Shiki Sta. (Tobu Tojo Line), East Exit, Bus for Shimo Nanbata, last stop, walk 10 mins|
|Visitor Information||The park and museum are open 9am-5pm, the park is open until 6pm from April through Sept. Free admission,. Closed Mondays unless Monday is a holiday, also closed the day following a national holiday unless it is a weekend or another holiday. Closed for New Year's holidays.|
|Time Required||60 mins|
|Location||Fujimi, Saitama Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 51' 28", 139° 34' 2"|
|Visits||Sept 14, 2013|
Kaneko Takanori built this castle as his home after being given the area called Nanbata. He took the place name as his new surname. In the early part of the Sengoku Period, Nanbata was allied with Ogigayatsu Uesugi. At this time, the castle was little more than a fortified palace. In 1546, the castle fell to attack by the Hojo and was put under the control of the Ueda clan. Around this time, the castle was fortified with 3 circular moats and developed into a Sengoku Period castle. The castle fell along with Matsuyama Castle in Hideyoshi's Siege of Odawara (1590). It was abandoned at this time and a temple was built on the site during the Edo Period.
A surprisingly nice little park and museum. The old buildings that have been moved here or built for the museum make it worth the trip. The moats and embankments have been reconstructed based on excavations and historical records. The site is well signposted in Japanese, but you can ask for some basic English materials inside the museum.