The history of Nishio Castle actually dates back to the 13th century with a castle called Saijo-jo built by Ashikaga Yoshiuji around 1221. After the Ashikaga, several different lords ruled over the castle gradually expanding it's territory. Under the orders of Tokugawa Ieyasu, Sakai Shigetada fortified the castle in 1585 with moats, stone walls, yagura, gates and a tenshu, turning it into a modern castle. Lordship of the castle changed hands many times during the Edo Period and it was eventually dismantled during the Meiji Restoration.
There are some samurai homes and other historic sites in the city too, but it was getting too late to go anywhere else.
|English Name||Nishio Castle|
|Alternate Names||Saijo-jo, Tsuru-jo, Tsuruga-jo|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Features||gates, turrets, water moats, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Nishio Sta. (Meitetsu Nishio Line); 15 min walk|
|Location||Nishio, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 51' 59", 137° 2' 53"|
|Visits||October 15, 2009|
|Added to Jcastle||2009|