Takahashi Mototane started constructing this castle in 1601 and completed it in 1603. It is thought that the castle was constructed on the site of the Tsuchimochi clan's fortified palace. 1613 Takahashi was caught up in a scandal for harboring a criminal and was replaced by Arima Yasuzumi. Arima further fortified the castle including building a 3 level yagura as a main keep In 1655. It burned down in 1683 and was not replaced. After the Arima, the Miura, Makino and Naito clans became lords of the castle until the Meiji Restoration. In 1870 the castle was decommissioned and turned into a garden.
The North Otemon was reconstructed in 1993.
|English Name||Nobeoka Castle|
|Alternate Names||Agata-jo, Kamei-jo|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles, Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Features||gates, stone walls|
|Access||Nobeoka Sta (Nippo Line), bus or 25 min walk|
|Location||Nobeoka, Miyazaki Prefecture|
|Coordinates||32° 34' 50.99" N, 131° 39' 46.12" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2013|