|English Name||Ogawa Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period|| Pre Edo Period
|Access||Jomokogen Sta. (Joetsu Bullet Train); 10 min walk|
|Visitor Information||park, open any time|
|Time Required||20 mins|
|Location||Minakami, Gunma Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 41' 34", 138° 58' 51"|
|Visits||Apr 29, 2013|
The lord of Numata Castle, Numata Kagehisa, built Ogawa Castle to help defend him from the West. His son, Kageaki, became lord of the castle. Kageaki changed his surname from Numata to Ogawa, after the name of the village where the castle was located. From the Ogawa's support of the Numata against the Hojo, Ogawa earned the ire of the Hojo who attacked in 1580. Despite being vastly overmatched by the Hojo, the Ogawa lord put up a good fight but eventually burned the castle and escaped to the Echigo area. The castle was then controlled by the Hojo until they were defeated by Hideyoshi's forces during the Siege of Odawara. Thereafter, the castle returned to the control of the Sanada lords of Numata. The history after this point is somewhat vague, but for 19 years from 1638, Sanada Nobuzumi had a palace at Ogawa Castle until he became the head of the Numata Sanada clan and the fifth lord of Numata Castle.
This is a fairly small castle, but it it is close to the station and just 2.5km from Nagurumi Castle. It's worth stopping by on your way to Nagurumi Castle. The main feature is the 6m deep moat of the Honkuruwa.