Ōkusajō was built around 1574 to replace Ōnojō by Oda Nobumasa after the well water there went bad. However, Oda Nobumasa was transferred to Settsunokuni before the castle could be completed and it was abandoned. It was razed during the Honnōji Incident.
Ōkusajō is a hilltop castle with a mock yagura serving as an observation platform, although with all the trees growing around it there’s not much of a view. On the first floor of which there are some snippets of local history presented (in Japanese). The site also possesses dorui (earthen embankments) and mizubori (water moats). The whole site apart from the cleared honmaru (main bailey) is heavily wooded.
|English Name||Ohkusa Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||Mock yagura (concrete), 2 levels|
|Features||water moats, trenches|
|Access||Ōnomachi Station on the Meitetsu Tokoname Line; 15 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||40 minutes|
|Location||Tokoname, Aichi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 56' 24", 136° 49' 51"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|