Oogo Castle was founded as the home castle of the Oogo clan in the early 1500's. It seems that the Oogo clan split around 1541 with most of them fleeing the Yokoze to join the Hojo at Odawara and were given lordship of Ushigome Castle in Edo (Tokyo). They renamed themselves the Ushigome. The few Oogo who remained joined the Uesugi forces. Into the vacuum left by the Oogo, the Yokoze, Mayabashi and Nawa briefly skirmished over Oogo castle, but it eventually fell into the hands of the Yokoze. Oogo Castle was a pivotal point in the struggle for power in the area. The castle changed hands several times between the Takeda, Uesugi, and Hojo or their allies. After the fall of the Hojo in 1590, Tokugawa Ieyasu took control of Edo and placed his ally Makino Yasushige as lord of Oogo Castle and the Oogo domain itself was founded. After the Battle of Sekigahara the Oogo domain was absorbed by the Maebashi domain. The lord's palace was moved to Maebashi but the castle remained in use until 1749 when Sakai Tadazumi, then lord of Maebashi, was moved to Himeji. Oogo Castle was disbanded at this time.
The huge embankments and scattering of stone fortifications are worth the visit if you are in the area.
|English Name||Oogo Castle|
|Year Founded||early 1500s|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Oogo Sta. (Jomo Rail, Jomo Line), 12 min walk|
|Visitor Information||Park, open any time.|
|Time Required||30 mins|
|Location||Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 25' 9.77" N, 139° 9' 31.36" E|
|Visits||May 3, 2016|
|Added to Jcastle||2016|