In 1608 Nabeshima Naoshige and his son Katsushige built Saga Castle from by expanding on and utilizing much of the former Muranaka Castle which belonged to the Sengoku period lords of the Ryuzoji clan. Saga Castle was plagued by fires. Between 1716-1736 most of the castle buildings including the main keep burned down. The main keep was never rebuilt but the palace and government buildings were rebuilt centering on the Ninomaru compound. In 1835 the Ninomaru Palace among other buildings burned down so they moved back to the Honmaru compound where a new palace was constructed. The extant Shachinomon gate and connected yagura date from this time period (1838) and the reconstructed palace also reflects the Honmaru palace from this period.
Much of the castle also burned down during the Saga Rebellion of 1874. The Honmaru Palace actually survived through the Meiji Period and was used as government offices and a school until it was dismantled in 1957.
Photos donated by Daniel from Japanese Castle Explorer
|English Name||Saga Castle|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Designations||Top 100 Castles, has Important Cultural Properties, Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Shachinomon and tsuzuki yagura|
|Features||gates, palace, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Saga Sta. (Nagasaki Line); 10 min bus.|
|Location||Saga, Saga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 14' 44", 130° 18' 9"|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|