The area of Shiroishi was under the control of Date Masamune until 1591. In that year it was seized by Toyotomi Hideyoshi and bestowed upon Gamo Ujisato along with Tsuruga-jo (Wakamatsu). Gamo then constructed this castle at Shiroishi under control from Wakamatsu. Soon after the battle of Sekigahara (1600) Date Masamunue reclaimed this area and stationed Katakura Kojuro at Shiroishi-jo. After the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate, they created a law which allowed for only one castle in each province. The area of Shiroishi was techinically in the province controlled from Sendai which already had a castle. The Katakura family, however, received special permission to retain their castle at Shiroishi and the descendents of Katakura Kojuro controlled Shiroishi-jo until the Meiji Restoration. It was eventually torn down during the second year of Meiji (1867).
A nice little castle that sits a nice walk from the station. During the fall the autumn colors were nice around the Shiroishi area.
|English Name||Shiroishi Castle|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||3 levels, 3 stories|
|Year Reconstructed||1995 (wood)|
|Features||main keep, gates, turrets, samurai homes, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Shiroishi Station (Tohoku Honsen), 10 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||9am-5pm (closes 4pm Nov-Mar). Closed Dec. 28-Jan. 3 (400 yen)|
|Time Required||60 mins|
|Location||Shiroishi, Miyagi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||38° 0' 9", 140° 37' 2"|
|Year Visited||1997, 2018|
|Added to Jcastle||1999|