Sukegawakaibōjō was established in 1836 when the then Lord of Mito-han, Tokugawa Nariaki, tasked his chief retainer, Yamanobe Yoshimi, with protecting the northern coastal region of the domain. The castle is ideally located on a steep hill over-looking the Pacific Ocean. The “Kaibō” in the castle’s name means “coastal defence.” The castle was built with three baileys, and the honmaru was encased with stone walls. The castle was destroyed in 1864 after it capitulated during the Tengutō Rebellion wherein the Tengu Party rebelled against the Shogunate for its inability to deal with the threat of Western Powers. They were suppressed by the end of the year.
Sukegawakaibōjō is now a terraced park on a hillside surrounded by a residential area. One ascends the several tiers to the Honmaru which affords a strategic view of the coast.
Profile and photos by ART
|English Name||Sukegawakaibou Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Hitachi Sta. (Jōban Line), 35 min walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||40 minutes|
|Location||Hitachi, Ibaraki Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 35' 30.88" N, 140° 38' 22.42" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2016|