Tanabe Castle (Wakayama)
Kisui-jo was built by the Asano Clan in 1606. In 1615 it was rebuilt into a Jinya due to the one castle per country rule and called Minato-jo. When Yoshinobu Tokugawa entered Kishu country (Wakayama Pref.) in 1619, Tanabe-jo was built by remodeling Minato-jo with the assistant lord, Ando Naotsugu. From then on the Ando Clan served as lord of the castle until the Meiji era.
Only some stonewalls and a water gate is remaining.
|English Name||Tanabe Castle (Wakayama)|
|Alternate Names||Kisui-jo, Minatomura-jo, Minato-jo|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||has Important Cultural Properties, Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Features||gates, stone walls, walls|
|Access||Kii Tanabe Station (JR Kisei Line), walk 15 minutes.|
|Visitor Information||open any time|
|Time Required||20 mins|
|Location||Tanabe, Wakayama Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 43' 50.23" N, 135° 22' 24.10" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|