Tobayama Castle was located at the confluence of Tenryu River and Futamata River, which used to flow between Tobayama Castle and Futamata Castle. The modern course of the Futamata River now flows east of the castle. Tobayama is sited on top of a 108m hill with the main bailey located at the top of hill. The following baileys can clearly still be seen if you visit Tobayama Castle Ruin: Honmaru (Main Bailey), Higashi Kuruwa (East Bailey), Minami Kuruwa 1 (South Bailey 1) and Minami Kuruwa 2 (South Bailey 2.) There are also plenty of stone walls lining the Otemichi. The ruins of three gates can easily be seen: Otemon (Main Gate), Karametemon (Back Gate), and Tsuyomon, which linked Honmaru with Higashi Kuruwa (East Bailey.) Tokugawa Ieyasu built Tobayama Castle south of Futamata Castle and placed most of his troops there when he besieged Futamata Castle in 1575. He lost Futamata Castle to Takeda Shingen in 1572 after the Battle of Mikatagahara. During the siege of Futamata Castle in 1575, Ieyasu also placed troops in other forts (toride) built to isolate Futamata Castle: Ninahara Fort (north of Futamata Castle), Bishamondo Fort (east of Futamata Castle), and Wadagashima Fort (west of Futamata Castle). He finally took Futamata Castle after a seven-month siege. After the siege, Ieyasu improved Tobayama Castle by building a palace, a garden, and many of the stone walls there, but it never had a castle keep like Futamata Castle. Futamata Castle and Tobayama Castle were treated as one fortification after 1575 as they complemented each other in design and function.
This castle is about 10 minutes walk from Futamata Honmachi Station. It is also easily accessible from Futamata Castle by walking along the levee built along Tenryu River.
All photos and text by RaymondW
|English Name||Tobayama Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Futamata Honmachi Sta.; walk 10 mins|
|Location||Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 51' 29.09" N, 137° 48' 20.27" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2012|