Tsuneyama Castle is famous for the battle in 1575 in which the castle lord's (who was not there at the time) wife, Ueno Tsuruhime, put on her husband's armor along with 34 other women in a last-stitch effort to save the castle from the invading Mori clan.
When the women went out to fight, Tsuruhime challenged the Mori leader but the invaders refused to kill women and avoided attempts by the women to fight, so Tsuruhime accepted the futility of the confrontation and went back into the castle where she and all 34 of the other women committed suicide. The image above is the graves of the women-defenders.
After this battle, lordship of the castle changed hands several times under Hideyoshi until it was abandoned by Ikeda Tadatsugu in 1603.
There are two ways listed to get there; hike or drive to the top however, the road to the top collapsed in 2012, so it can only be accessed from the hiking trail.
Aside from stairs, there is nothing left from the castle. Graves were built much later for the female fighters.
Photos and profile information provided by user Phibbyfan
|English Name||Tsuneyama Castle|
|Year Founded||Bunmei Period (1469~87)|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Train to Tsuneyama Station then walk|
|Visitor Information||Acessible anytime/free|
|Time Required||45 min - 1 hour to reach the top from Tsuneyama Station.|
|Location||Tamano, Okayama Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 31' 29.82" N, 133° 53' 12.23" E|
|Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Added to Jcastle||2013|