|English Name||Yonezawa Castle|
|Alternate Names||Uesugi-jinja, Maizuru-jo|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles|
|Historical Period|| Pre Edo Period
|Access||Yonezawa Sta.; bus or 30 min walk|
|Location||Yonezawa, Yamagata Prefecture|
|Coordinates||37° 54' 33", 140° 6' 17"|
|Visits||November 3, 2017|
The first castle on this site dates back to 1238 when Nagai Tokihiro became lord of the Dewa region. The Nagai continued to rule for about 150 years until they were taken over by Date Mentoh. After Date Masamune defeated the Ashina in 1589, he moved his main castle to Kurokawa Castle and put Date Munekiyo in charge. Hideyoshi did not agree with this change and made Masamune move back to Yonezawa. In 1591, Masamune moved to Iwadeyama Castle under the orders of Hideyoshi and Yonezawa Castle was handed over to Gamo Ujisato. Uesugi Kagekatsu then became lord of the castle when Gamo's son moved to Utsunomiya in 1597. From 1608 to 1613, Uesugi Kanetsugu vastly renovated the castle. The Uesugi continued to control Yonezawa Castle until the Meiji Restoration.
A shrine to Uesugi Kenshin with a moat. It has a lot of big names associated with it. Date Masamune, Uesugi Kenshin, Kagekatsu and Yozan, Aya Gozen, Kikuhime, Naoe Kantsugu, Osen no kata, Maeda Keijiro. The museums are great and the area has lots to see historywise. Risen-ji, Uesugi Matsuri, etc.