Komono Castle

From Jcastle.info
Revision as of 11:01, 21 August 2022 by ART (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

KomonojouChris (4).jpg


Komono Castle in Komono Domain, northern Mie Prefecture, was the residence of the 12,000 koku valued Hijikata clan for approximately 270 years, from the first lord, Hijikata Yuuji to the 12th generation, Lord Hijikata Yuunaga, until the abolition of the domains in 1869. That the Hijikata clan held the domain without any transfers or relocations throughout the Edo period is rather rare.

When the castle was abandoned in 1873, part of the clan residence was moved to the Zenrin-ji Temple in nearby Ukawahara, one of the gates went to the Kanakura-ji Temple in Asagami Kojima, part of the stable to a farmhouse in Akamizu, Yokkaichi, and a corner yagura turret to a farmhouse in Ikesoko. However, other than the gate of Kanakura-ji, the other structures were demolished over the years due to age related risk of collapse.

Visit Notes

Part of the castle moats and a built-up area remain on the west and north sides of what is now the Komono Primary School. A small section of the clan residence garden remains in the south-west corner, where Komono Castle monument is located. The remains of a corner turret facing the Furiko River running south-west and part of the stone masonry remains can be seen to the east of that.

The town area where the clan’s samurai lived is still known as 'Hannai', and the remains of the north, south and east castle gates can also be seen by the road. Old maps of the area found in the former clan houses, give an indication of the scale of the clan residences, the division of the clan’s residences and the layout of the town.

Profile by Chris Glenn (edited by ART).


Castle Profile
English Name Komono Castle
Japanese Name 菰野城
Alternate Names Komono-jin'ya
Founder Hijikata Yuuji
Year Founded c. 1603
Castle Type Flatland
Castle Condition No main keep but other buildings
Designations Prefectural Historic Site
Historical Period Pre Edo Period
Artifacts Ishigaki, Dorui, Hori, Relocated Gates and Shoin
Features gates, palace, stone walls
Visitor Information
Access Nakakomono Station on the Kintetsu Yunoyama Line; 7 minute walk
Visitor Information 24/7 free; park
Time Required
Location Komono, Mie Prefecture
Coordinates 35° 0' 45.90" N, 136° 30' 31.18" E
Loading map...
Added to Jcastle 2022
Contributor 豪谷
Admin Year Visited Viewer Contributed
Friends of JCastle
Jōkaku Hōrōki

(0 votes)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.