A castle was first constructed on this site in 1197 under the command of Minamoto no Yoritomo. In 1353, one of the brothers of the ruling Shimazu clan started a new Sata clan under the Shimazu as lords of Chiran Castle. Despite being involved in several conflicts the Sata ruled over Chiran Castle until the Edo Period. In 1591, the Sata lord was driven out by Hideyoshi for disobedience. In his absence, a fire broke out and burned down much of the castle. In 1615, Chiran Castle was officially decommissioned by the One Castle Per Province edict. The Sata clan however continued as the local Tokugawa representatives until the Meiji Period living on the castle grounds.
Be sure to visit the old Samurai Quarter while in the area.
|English Name||Chiran Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Next 100 Castles, Top 100 Mountaintop Castles, National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||samurai homes, stone walls|
|Access||Hirakawa Sta. (Ibusakimakurasaki Line); car|
|Visitor Information||Free park is open any time. Pick up a map and brochure from the box at the parking lot.|
|Location||Minami Kyushu, Kagoshima Prefecture|
|Coordinates||31° 22' 0.88" N, 130° 26' 34.44" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2013|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Enable comment auto-refresher
Anonymous user #1