Fukakusa-yakata, a flatland fortification, served as the fortified manor house and base of the Horiuchi Clan, who were vassals of the Hemi Clan during the Muromachi Period. The Hemi controlled nearby Yato Castle. Various Kyokan existed around Yatojō, and Fukakusa-yakata is located further south of these. The clan was (re?)subordinated to the Takeda from 1570 and the yakata site was abandoned.
Fukakusa-yakata ("Deep Grass Hall") is a small hirajiro (flatland castle) site south of Yatojō. It has two baileys, with dorui (earthen ramparts) dividing the two. In the middle of the dorui is a koguchi ("tiger's maw") gate ruin. The northern enclosure is surrounded by dorui on all sides. The southern enclosure is partially surrounded by dorui and is otherwise bordered by a creek to the southeast. The site is surrounded by karabori (dry moats), and a deep creek.
|English Name||Fukakusa Yakata|
|Year Founded||Medieval Times|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Dorui, Karabori, Kuruwa, Koguchi|
|Access||Nagasaka Station on the Chuo Main Line; 45 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||Free; 24/7|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Hokuto, Yamanashi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 50' 47.26" N, 138° 23' 1.10" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|