The Hatta-yashiki was a roughly square (irregular parallelogram) compound measuring about 150m north-south and 120m east-west. In addition to earthen ramparts, moats up to ten metres wide surrounded the residence. It was built by the Hatta Clan in the Sengoku period when they served the Takeda Clan (the Hatta were originally from Hachinohe) in a commercial capacity. It seems the clan was also known as Hattamura; Hattamura Shinzawēmon is mentioned in the Kōyōgunkan (甲陽軍鑑) as one of four daikan (deputies) governing on behalf of the Takeda Clan. The yashiki functioned as a depot and storage area as well as the Hatta Clan residence. When Oda Nobunaga invaded Kai the yashiki was put to flames, but it was re-built in the Edo period after the Hatta became direct retainers of the Shōgun. The shoin (drawing room) of the old palatial compound survives from this time, dating to 1661, and is a cultural property. The omotemon (front gate) is actually a relocated structure from nearby Isawa-jin'ya. In 1961 the shoin, which was used to entertain guests, was designated as tangible cultural property. In 1969 the site was designated as a prefectural historic site.
Hatta-yashiki is a fortified residence site with an extant palatial hall, gate house, dorui (earthen ramparts), and traces of moats. The shoin (drawing room) is open to the public, and the residence's grounds are now a park (though its outer environs have been developed over with housing). Of the dorui which surrounds the compound, the northern segment is best preserved.
|Sengoku Period; Edo Period
|No main keep but other buildings
|has Important Cultural Properties, Prefectural Historic Site
|Pre Edo Period
|gates, palace, water moats
|Isawa Station on the Chūō Main Line; 13 minute walk.
|9:00-16:00, exc. Tuesdays
|Fuefuki, Yamanashi Prefecture
|35° 39' 14.72" N, 138° 38' 28.14" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle