Horigoe Palace was built by Ashikaga Masatomo in 1455. Ashikaga Masatomo, the third son of Shōgun Ashikaga Yoshinori, formerly a priest and later an official of the Ashikaga Shogunate, initially tried to establish himself in Sagami following the orders of his brother, Shōgun Ashikaga Yoshimasa, but was forced to relocated to Izu owing to lingering resistance to the Shogunate in Kantō following the rebellion of Ashikaga Shigeuji, the former Kantō Kubō (Deputy Shōgun in Kantō), who had retreated to Koga in Shimosa, becomming the Koga Kubō. Ashikaga Masatomo, based at Horigoe Palace, was known as the Horigoe Kubō. Kantō was effectively split in two by these dual powers and neither could exert effective control. The Horigoe Palace suffered extensive fire damage in 1460 and the palace was relocated to the site of the Enjōji Hōjō-tei (see: Hojo Clan Residence) nearby.
We came here to this former palace site because it is registered as a national historic site but there's not much to see other than fields and some information boards. The site is also referred to as Kubō-tei (公方邸).
|National Historic Site
|Pre Edo Period
|Nirayama Station on the Izuhakone Line; 13 minute walk
|Free; 24/7; Park
|Izunokuni, Shizuoka Prefecture
|35° 2' 56.72" N, 138° 56' 21.19" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle