Ima Castle (Mino)
Built by the Koike Clan in the early 16th century, Ima Castle was abandoned following Mori Nagayoshi, lord of Kaneyama Castle, removing the clan's samurai status in 1582 and ordering them to return to farming. This followed rebellions by local samurai in Mino after the death of Oda Nobunaga. There is some indication that Imajō was refurbished and used briefly during the Battle of Komaki-Nagakute where Lord Nagayoshi was slain. Imajō was abandoned at this time. The castle had three principal baileys, with the shukuruwa (main bailey) being accessed through the adjacent ninokuruwa (second bailey), in turn accessed by the sannokuruwa (third bailey) beneath.
Having seen it referenced at the Sengoku Yamajiro Museum, we came to Imajō. It's a well maintained little ruin with such features as dorui (earthen ramparts), karabori (dry moats), and kuruwa (baileys). Effort has been put into making this site into a nice park, though some parts are restricted to walkways, and the site suffers from mosquito infestation.
|Mino Ima Castle
|Early 16th Century
|Pre Edo Period
|Dorui, Kuruwa, Koguchi, Hori, Koshikuruwa, Ido
|Shimogiri Station on the Taita Line; 25 minute walk
|Free; 24/7; Park
|Kani, Gifu Prefecture
|35° 22' 50.95" N, 137° 3' 4.14" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle
|Japan Castle Guide