Itoi-jin'ya was established by Kyōgoku Takakado in 1668, the centre of a fief valued 2,000 koku (see: kokudaka system). At the same time his elder brother, Kyōgoku Takamori was established in Toyôka, Tajima, the pair of them having been transfered by the Shogunate from Tanabe, Tango. In addition, there was a secondary hatamoto camp - jin'ya - in Wadayama, the Tsuchida-jin'ya. The jin'ya are sometimes referred to along with the names of their respective lords, as Itoikyōgoku-jin'ya and Tsuchidakoide-jin'ya, but of the two only significant remains can be seen at the Itoi-jin'ya. After the abolition of the Han system in the Meiji Period, Itoi-jin'ya became a school, for which purpose a gate was retained, and this can still be found today. In more recent times the site, which was apparently also developed in the Kofun Period, hosts the Wadayama Local Museum. A notable chapter in the jin'ya's history came toward the end of the Edo Period when the 8th lord, Kyōgoku Takāki, participated in the First Japanese Embassy to Europe in 1862. That was one of the early ones when they were all still walking around dressed in their native garments, no doubt causing wonder wherever they went. Apparently they popped into the London World Fair which was on at the time, and no doubt some must've thought that they were one of the exhibitions -- but they were just having a nosey about.
Itoi-jin'ya is a jin'ya in fairly decent condition all things considered, though it does appear dubious in places. It has a long segment of ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts) with very strange mock dobei (walls) with silly yasama (loopholes) positioned at amusingly wide distances apart. There is an original gate on site, which is small but looks genuine. Itoi-jin'ya is now the site of a local museum.
|English Name||Itoi Jin'ya|
|Castle Condition||No main keep but other buildings|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Features||gates, stone walls|
|Access||Access: Wadayama Station on the San'in Main Line; 40 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||Museum open 9:30-16:30 on weekends|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Asago, Hyogo Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 21' 47.52" N, 134° 50' 36.53" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2021|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|