Kamigishimoto Castle (Omi)
Kamigishimotojō was built as a branch fortification of Namazuejō by the Namazue Clan or Ogura Clan. The clifftop fortification was built upon strategic elevation overlooking the fertile river plain of the Echi River. After this relatively narrow area between river and cliff line the plain broadens out considerably. Kamigishimotojō was likely destroyed in 1573 by Shibata Katsuie along with its parent castle, Namazuejō (Namazue Castle).
Some sites are so minor that one really doesn’t know what one will find until one goes there oneself! Although we had failures that day, Kamigishimotojō was definitely a success. Kamigishimotojō has dorui surrounding a small kuruwa with a karabori (dry moat) to the rear. Possibly more kuruwa extend beyond here but it is now densely thicketed bamboo there.
|English Name||Kamigishimoto Castle|
|Founder||Namazue Clan or Ogura Clan|
|Year Founded||Sengoku Period|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Horikiri, Kuruwa, Dorui|
|Access||Yōkaichi Station on the Ōmi Rail Kotō-Ōmi Line; 10 minute drive or 50 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||Free; 24/7; Forest|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Higashi-Oumi, Shiga Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 6' 51.34" N, 136° 14' 1.03" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2021|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|