Kanasashi-yakata, the fortified manor hall of the Kanasashi Clan, was constructed in the late Heian period, during the transition to feudalism. The Kanasashi Clan acted as the guardians and priests of the Lower Suwa Grand Shrine, controlling its resources and feifdom, whilst the Suwa Clan ran the Upper Suwa Grand Shrine to the south. The Kanasashi Clan was descended from Kanasashi Yatsumaro who was granted authority to perform rituals at the Shimo-sha by Emperor Kinmei in the middle 6th century and became the lower shrine's head priest. The two clans / shrines fought bitterly during the Nanbokuchō period. In 1518, under Suwa Yorimitsu, the Suwa Clan was finally victorious, and the Kanasashi, under Kanasashi Masuharu, fled south to Kai where they served under Takeda Nobutora who was in the process of unifying that province.
No ruins remain of Kanasashi-yakata, and the site is now Shimo-Suwa Junior High School. The 'Autumn Shrine' of the Suwa-taisha is nearby. Kanasashi-yakata is also referred to as the Kanasashi-Ôhōri-Yakata; the other Ôhōri-Yakata was the main base of the Suwa Clan.
|English Name||Kanasashi Yakata|
|Year Founded||Late Heian Period|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Shimo-Suwa Station on the Chūō East Line; 5 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||Access Limited; Shrine is Free|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Shimo-Suwa, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 4' 21.90" N, 138° 5' 19.25" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|