The castle was founded in 1393 by Kitsuki Yorinao. In 1599, the castle came under the control of Hosokawa Tadaoki. The main keep burned down after a lightning strike in 1608 and was never rebuilt. The Hosokawa were transferred to Kumamoto in 1632 and the Ogasawara Tadatomo became the new castle lord. Matsudaira Hidechika became lord of the castle in 1645 and the Matsudaira family continued to rule until the Meiji Restoration.
Nice view of the surrounding area.
Profile and photos contributed by Frank T.
|English Name||Kitsuki Castle|
|Alternate Names||Katsuyama-jo, Gagyu-jo|
|Castle Condition||Reconstructed main keep|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Main Keep Structure||3 levels, 3 storeys|
|Year Reconstructed||1970 (concrete)|
|Features||main keep, stone walls|
|Access||Kitsuki Sta. (JR Nippo line), bus|
|Location||Kitsuki, Oita Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 24' 53.10" N, 131° 37' 39.61" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2011|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Admin Visits||Viewer Donated|