Edo Michishige built Koibuchijō during the Muromachi period, taking the name Koibuchi. The castle are was once quite vast, being expanded upon over time. It was protected with karabori (dry moats) and dorui (earthen ramparts), including double moats in parts. The Edo Clan was wiped out by the Satake Clan in 1590.
Some overgrown embankments can be discerned, hinting at the layout of the castle. Otherwise there is not much to see of the castle but the site is also the location of a 17th century dwelling of a jizamurai family, the Nakazaki. Given the difference in time periods, the dwelling is not linked to the castle. The site also now hosts a shrine, Kashima-jinja.
|English Name||Koibuchi Castle|
|Year Founded||14th Century|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||has Important Cultural Properties|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Artifacts||Dorui, Karabori, Double Moats|
|Access||Uchihara Station on the Joban Line|
|Visitor Information||Free, 24/7|
|Time Required||40 minutes|
|Location||Mito, Ibaraki Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 20' 58.09" N, 140° 22' 15.74" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2018|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|