Kokokuji Castle

From Jcastle.info



Kokokuji Castle is well known as the castle from which Hojo Soun rose to power. Soun became the lord of Kokouji Castle in 1487 for helping to quell the succession dispute among the Imagawa after the death of Imagawa Yoshitada. Yoshitada was married to Soun's sister. In 1491, Soun invaded Izu and Imagawa Yoshimoto was put in charge of Kokokuji Castle. After the hostilities settled down, Imagawa renovated the castle. As the Imagawa lost power, Kokokuji Castle became one of the points of struggle between the Takeda and Hojo. The Takeda took control in 1571 and kept the castle until their downfall when it came under the control of Tokugawa Ieyasu. After Ieyasu moved to Kanto, various lords served from Kokokuji Castle until it was abandoned in 1607.

Visit Notes

There should also be a bus from Numazu, but I don't have the details. There was a bus stop right in front of the castle entrance named Negoya.

Loading map...

  • Looking out from the Honmaru embankment
  • Ninomaru and Honmaru baileys
  • Honmaru embankment
  • Ninomaru
  • Route to the main keep
  • Route to the main keep foundation
  • Atop the Honmaru embankment
  • Honmaru embankment
  • Atop the Honmaru embankment
  • Honmaru trench and North Bailey
  • Atop the honmaru
  • Atop the Honmaru embankment
  • Atop the Honmaru embankment
  • Main keep foundation
  • Stone wall of the main keep
  • Main keep foundation
  • Deep trench behind the Honmaru
  • Deep trench behind the Honmaru
  • Deep trench behind the Honmaru
  • Deep trench
  • Deep trench
  • Deep trench behind the Honmaru
  • Deep trench
  • Map

Castle Profile
English Name Kokokuji Castle
Japanese Name 興国寺城
Alternate Names Fukadayama-jo, Nekoya-jo
Founder Hojo Soun
Year Founded around 1467-1487
Castle Type Hilltop
Castle Condition Ruins only
Designations Next 100 Castles, National Historic Site
Historical Period Pre Edo Period
Features trenches, stone walls
Visitor Information
Access Hara Sta. (Tokidao Line), 30 min walk
Visitor Information Open anytime
Time Required 30 mins
Website http://www.sengoku-shizuoka.com/castle/3114002/
Location Numazu, Shizuoka Prefecture
Coordinates 35° 8' 29.18" N, 138° 48' 24.84" E
Loading map...
Added to Jcastle 2014
Contributor Eric
Admin Year Visited 2014
Admin Visits June 20, 2014

(3 votes)
Add your comment
Jcastle.info welcomes all comments. If you do not want to be anonymous, register or log in. It is free.