Nakano-jin'ya was first built in 1616 by the Bakufu, established along with several other small tenryō territories in the area. In 1724 these surrounding fiefs were merged into the administration of Nakano-jin'ya. In 1868 the holding was abolished and placed under the management of Owari Domain. In 1870 the facilities were burnt down during the Nakano Riots, marking the final end of Nakano-jin'ya. In 1871 Nagano Prefecture was founded. The structure standing on site today was built in 1936 as the townhall of Nakano Township. The site was declared a prefecturally designated historical site in 1964, and the old town hall was converted into a museum in 1994.
Nothing remains of this Edo Period jin'ya (fortified administrative center), Nakano-jin'ya, but the site was later developed as a seat of county government (not an uncommon fate for jin'ya and daikansho) and a nice building dating to 1936 stands there now. Buildings of that time combined Japanese and Western elements harmoniously.
|English Name||Nakano Jin'ya|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Shinshuu-Nakano Station on the Shinano Line; 10 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||Museum opens at 10am. Cafe closes at 9pm.|
|Time Required||60 minutes|
|Location||Nakano, Nagano Prefecture|
|Coordinates||36° 44' 40.96" N, 138° 22' 20.82" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|