In 1574, one of Oda Nobunaga’s generals, Niwa Nagahide, became the new lord of Nochiseyama Castle. The stone stairs and wall remnants found mainly around the honmaru (main bailey) were not built by the Takeda Clan, but instead they were the results of successive improvements made to the castle by the following castle lords, Asano Nagamasa (1587-1593) and Kinoshita Katsutoshi (1593-1600). After the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, Kyogoku Takatsugu became the lord of Nochiseyama Castle. Within a year, he decided to relocate and construct a new castle, Obama Castle at the river delta of Kitagawa (North River) and Minamigawa (South River). Subsequently, Nochiseyama Castle was decommissioned in 1615 according to the sign found at the trailhead. However, another Japanese source states that it was only decommissioned at a much later date in the 1640s after the completion of both Obama Castle and the new castle town. In 1997, it was designated a national historic site.
The trailhead is around a ten minute walk from Obama Station. It is near the tunnel on Route 27 and just behind a small Panasonic Service shop located opposite a petrol station. There is a free colour pamphlet about Nochiseyama Castle provided by Obama City available at the trailhead. During the Edo Period, the Atago Shrine was built at the site of the main bailey.
|English Name||Nochiseyama Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Top 100 Mountaintop Castles, National Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Features||trenches, stone walls|
|Access||Obama Sta. (Obama Line), 10 min walk|
|Visitor Information||Hiking trail. Open 24/7. Free.|
|Time Required||1.5 hours|
|Location||Obama, Fukui Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 29' 17.63" N, 135° 44' 20.69" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2014|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|