Sakai Tadakatsu finished constructing the castle in 1641. It had a three-tier three-storey castle keep, which was modelled on Edo Castle’s Fujimi Yagura. The main bailey was almost completely surrounded by a water moat. On the other side of this moat was a concentric layer of baileys which were in turn completely surrounded by water. In effect, Obama Castle was an island fortress in the middle of a river delta. For fourteen generations or 237 years, the Sakai Clan ruled Obama. A fire broke out in 1871 and most of the castle burnt down. A few years later in 1875, the castle was decommissioned and Obama Shrine built on the site of the honmaru (main bailey.) In 1956, it was designated a prefectural historic site.
This castle ruin is about a 20 minute walk from Obama Station. Just go straight up Route 162 from the station. Only the main bailey and its stone walls are left. The rest of the castle has been subsumed by the modern day Obama City.
Profile and photos by JCastle user RaymondW
|English Name||Obama Castle|
|Alternate Names||Unpin Castle (雲浜城)|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Obama Sta. (Obama Line), 20 min walk|
|Visitor Information||The park is open any time|
|Time Required||20 minutes|
|Location||Obama, Fukui Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 30' 14.04" N, 135° 44' 45.53" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2014|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|