Oyamada Bessou Yashiki
The Oyamada-Bessō-yashiki was a residence of the Oyamada Clan who ruled Tsuru in the 16th century. It is thought that it was built as an emergency residence and seat for the clan by Oyamada Nobuari after Nakatsumori Yakata, the clan's main headquarters, unexpectedly burnt down around 1530. Oyamada-shi Bessō is also speculated to have been the kyokan (residential annex) for the fort, called Yamura-noroshidai, which was built on the mountain above. Yamura Castle on the plain soon became the main base of the Oyamada Clan in 1532.
The Oyamada-Bessō-yashiki is a medieval residence site in Tsuru Municipality. The site is now that of a temple, Chōanji. The temple contains a nursery, and this has inspired some interesting design motifs. Chōanji was built by Torii Mototada in 1585, so the residnece must've been gone by that time. No ruins remain of the residence. There is a stone marker just in front of the temple to signify the residence's former existence.
|Oyamada Bessou Yashiki
|Pre Edo Period
|Yamuramachi Station on the Ôtsuki Line; 5 minute walk
|24/7 free; temple
|Tsuru, Yamanashi Prefecture
|35° 33' 0.68" N, 138° 54' 27.50" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle